Sunday, July 17, 2011

7th and Final Day- Clinton to Lawrenceville NJ


The final day of the Anchor House ride had a tragic ending. A 15 year veteran rider, Doug McCune, was killed outside of Clinton when he collided into the back of an SUV that was stopped at a traffic light. We came upon the scene of the accident about ten minutes after it had happened. By that time, Doug had been pronounced, and the driver of the SUV, who was visibly distraught, was being comforted by several Anchor House riders.. It was a very sad and sobering scene. For more information about the accident and about Doug, please see http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2011/07/princeton_man_killed_while_par.html. Our hearts and prayers go out to the McCune family.

Needless to say, this tragic occurrence changed what usually is a celebratory final day's ride into a very somber and reflective occasion. One thing that lifted our hearts was a very adorable and much needed lemonade stand in the Sourlands run by local children who were giving a percentage of the proceeds back to Anchor House. We also helped a fellow cyclist who had a tire blow out. It felt good to help someone at this time- giving back is certainly the spirit of the Anchor House ride.

At the annual picnic, about ten miles from the end of the ride, the mood was very somber, with many people in tears. Friends of Doug's spoke about his love of Anchor House and of cycling. It was announced that we would forego our usual celebration at the mall and instead have a silent tribute to our fallen friend.

We donned our Anchor House shirts and wore black arm bands for the final 10 mile procession to the end of the ride in Quakerbridge Mall.

I find myself very grateful: to be home safe, to have a loving wife and family, and to have fantastic friends who I shared a beautiful week with and who gave each other comfort after a tragedy. I am also very grateful to my friends who made donations in my name for this terrific organization that gives so much to children who have so little. I wish everyone peace, love and good health. This ride is dedicated to my Mom, who was with me every pedal stroke of the way, and now also to Doug McCune.

3 comments:

  1. Kenny, so sorry for the tragic ending of a wonderful week. Our hearts also go out to Doug's family. It's fitting to dedicate the ride to both Mom and Doug. We ourselves are so glad that you made it home safely, and here's to the hope that this is the last tragedy ever experienced by any Anchor House rider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey KC,

    I enjoyed sharing another ride with you! You constantly provided a huge amount of positive energy during the week - whether it was pedaling, re-fueling, or chewing the fat! Thanks for blogging every day, and capturing the essence (happy to tragic) of the ride for friends and family at home. I know Janet really enjoyed reading along during the week.. and I enjoyed reviewing the week after returning to my PC.

    Cheers & hope to see you again soon!
    DJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken...Just to let you know how much I enjoyed following your blog all week. I cannot describe how I felt hearing of the tragedy of the final day - not only for Doug and family but also for all of you. The photos from the mall had me in tears...Take good care.
    Bob F.

    ReplyDelete